Sunday, February 10, 2008

Earth Signs

Earth Signs: Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn

I am an earth sign and since high school I've known that my best signs were my earth mates, Taurus and Capricorn. My first love was a Taurus. I'll call him Tracks, cause he wore braces. He and his little brother moved in one street away from my family when I was in about 4th grade. He was a grade above and his brother a grade or two below me. We rode the same bus and went to the same elementary school, but I never said anything to him. Being a shy girl I just admired him from afar. Then one morning while waiting for the school bus with my grandma, she decided to invite them to my stop. I was so embarassed, I hid behind my grandma the whole time. That was the closest I'd gotten to Tracks up until then. He was so cute. Light-skinned, epicanthal folds in his eyelids so he looked part asian, and freckles. I had such a crush. We got on the bus and that's when the jokes started. Tracks was quite the comedian and from that day on I was the butt of most of his jokes.

One day I had on a cute new outfit. It was a two piece pants set with black and white stripes and a picutre of Minnie Mouse on the front. That day on the way home, Tracks decided to sit right next to me. He started calling me Beetlejuice, because of my stripy outfit. He wouldn't stop. Finally I lost it and smacked him across the face. Then I burst out into tears. When I got off the bus, my brother was at the front door to greet me. I told him that the boy down the street made me cry. My brother took off running to the next street while the bus was dropping Tracks and his brother off. Tracks saw my brother and started running home. My brother stopped the bus driver and let him know what had happened and told him to keep an eye out. That night my brother, a jokster himself, gave me some jokes to try out on Tracks the next day. I did and they were a hit. That shut him up for a good while.

After Tracks graduated from elementary school, I hardly ever saw him. Over the summer I would ride up and down my street (I wasn't allowed to go any further) on my bike hoping he'd ride by. I think I did see him a couple of times that summer. Then the summer was over and I started 5th grade, Tracks started 6th. One afternoon we had a spaghetti dinner at my school. Not many people came, but Tracks showed up with his brother and uncle. After we ate, we went outside to the playground. I mostly stayed away from Tracks, still shy. But his brother came over and asked me if I wasnted to be Tracks girlfriends. I said yes, but I still never talked directly to him except to say bye when I left with my mom.

The relationship didn't last very long. I got off the bus the next day, and Tracks was down the street waiting for his brother. He called out my name and I just ran away. Why? I was too scared to talk to him. My own boyfriend that I'd had a crush on since 4th grade. I just ignored him. On the bus, the next morning Tracks's brother informed me that he'd broken up with me. I was sad. But I got over it. We moved from the neighborhood before I finished 5th grade.

Tracks and I kept in touch over the years with letters, cards, and phone calls. Occasionaly, we'd go visit my grandma and I'd see him riding his bike. In high school, we talked on the phone at least once a week. He finally asked me to be his girlfriend when I was in 16. At the time I was dating this Filipino kid at school. We'd only been together for 2 days, but I dumped him for Tracks. I know it was mean, but I'd been wanting to be with Tracks since elementary school, so how could I pass it up. I thought it was fate. I went to one of his football games. After the game I surprised him. He didn't even know I was going to be there. He was happy to see me though and he asked me out on a date. The following week I convinced my parents with the help of my sister to let, Tracks and I go out on what would be my first date. We went to see Romeo and Juliet. We didn't talk much. It was quite awkward. At the end of the date we didn't hug or kiss or nothing. My sister picked me up and asked, "So did you kiss him?" I told her we did nothing. She was like "What?" Go ask him if he needs a ride home and then give him a hug. So I did. That was awkward as well. About a week or so later, he broke up with me. He said he only saw me as a friend. I suppose he dumped me to be with another girl. Karma's a...well...you know. I got back with my Filipino ex, but it only lasted a month.

Tracks and I continued to keep in touch after that. More Letters and cards and phone calls. He was graduating that year and I was going into the 12 grade. His plans were to play college ball or go into the military. Over the summer we lost contact. I started seeing a guy I'd met through family. He was my first serious boyfriend. We were in love and nothing could tear us apart.

I was surprised one day to get a letter from Tracks. It was a short note written on stationary and in a small envelope. It basically said the he was in training for the navy and that he still thought about me and thought it was fate for us to be together. I, against the advice of my mother, wrote back letting him know I had a man and we couldn't be together. How stupid of me, but c'est la vie. I was being honest. Well needless to say he never wrote me back.

My boyfriend and I lasted a good while, 10 months. We broke up after I started pre-college. By then I realized there were lots more cute guys and that they weren't all light-skinned. College was lots of fun for me. I got to go to the parties I wasn't allowed to go to in high school and hung out late at night. It was great!!

My freshman year, one of my friends and I caught a party bus to a Que party. It was so much fun. I danced until my hair was wet with sweat. At the end of the night everyone was rushing to get out of the door. Suddenly, I recognized a light-skinned guy with epicanthal folds and freckles. "Tracks! Tracks!", I yelled his name, until he turned around. He was as excited to see me as I was to see him. We hugged. "You're sweaty!" he said. "I know!." "What are you doing here?" I told him I went to school down the street. I asked what he was doing there. He said he came with some friends. I had to stop and get my coat, he had to go, and that was the last time I saw Tracks in person.

My senior year in college, I tried to get in contact with Tracks. I wanted to see if we could make it work one last time. I looked his name up in the phone book and got his number. I called and a woman answered. I figured it was a girlfriend or wife. I told her I was a friend from elementary school and I just wanted to catch up with him and see how he was doing. She took the message and Tracks called me that night. He told me he had a daughter from a previous relationship and that his new wife was Korean-American and also in the navy. He let me know they were going to be stationed in Italy soon. I congratulated him on his marriage. I didn't have much good news to share as far as a personal life. I just told him that I was still planning to go to med school. He was proud of me. We said good night. The conversation lasted about 10 minutes and that was the last time I talked to Tracks.

It took me a minute to get over that. I often regretted writing that letter the summer of my senior year in high school. I wondered how different my life would be if I'd been with my elementary school sweetheart. But I met my last boyfriend, and I soon got over him.

Anyway, Tracks was the only Taurus I was involved with. None even entered my life after that. My only other hope was to meet a Capricorn, but no luck there until now. Burbs is a Capricorn, and we've hit it off really well over the internet. So I wonder to myself, without getting too anxious since we haven't even met yet, "could he be the one?"

I was reading about the earth signs. Taurus represents the Raw material, Virgo represents the Garden, and Capricorn is the Harvest. Could Burbs be my Harvest? Wouldn't that be nice? Do I deserve it? Have I earned it? Has my Garden grown enough? Is it time to Harvest? Will fate be good to me this time around?

No comments:

Post a Comment